Friday, February 5, 2010

Tales From the Duke’s Daughter

I recently completed reading the book My Father, John Wayne, by Aissa Wayne, the fifth of Wayne’s seven children, his first by his third wife, Pilar. John Wayne’s film career spanned five decades, and was greatly popular, as evidenced by the number of times he was one of Hollywood’s top moneymakers. (Wayne is the indisputable champion of that list, while Clint Eastwood is a very distant second.) Aissa, incidentally, is just six months younger than I am and eventually became a lawyer. I found it an interesting read. She neither sugarcoats nor trashes her father’s memory. I was impressed with the portrait she drew of the man, who had his share of flaws, but certainly loved his children very much. I was also absolutely flabbergasted when Aissa relates who her father told her was the best actor/director with whom he had ever worked.

Anyone want to guess?

No comments: