Friday, May 28, 2010

Her Majesty’s Birthday

Queen Elizabeth was born April 21, 1926. However, out of consideration for the English people, she officially celebrates her birthday on the first, second or third Saturday in June. I thought that was very nice of her. I have been in England in April. Trust me: most April days in England are no good for outdoor celebration. Question: on which day should Americans offer Her Majesty wishes for good health. For me, I wish Her Majesty good wishes and long life every single day, especially when I consider the kind of monarch the Prince of Wales is likely to turn out to be. Prince Charles seems to be intent on establishing himself as an honorary Moslem. Indeed, I understand that he wishes to become known not as Defender of THE Faith, but Defender of Faith, as in “of religion.” As many disagreements as I have with the Church of England, I think I recognize the lesser of two evils quite clearly. So with that in mind, here’s hoping Her Majesty’s longevity exceeds that of her dear, departed Mum, the Queen Mother.

No comments: