Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A Texas Story

When I was in law school, an elderly professor told a story about a Texas Judge from long ago who was chided about the fact that in Texas the penalty for second degree murder was a shorter prison sentence than horse stealing.  The judge’s response professor Rhodes told me was “We got some folks down here that need killin’, we don't have any horses that need stealing.” I am reminded of that Texas jurist’s observation when I hear of Justin Bieber’s possible incarceration.  A great many people apparently think it is hilarious to make jokes about Mr. Bieber getting sodomized by his fellow inmates should he go to jail (these same jokes are frequently used by democrats any time a republican gets sent to prison).  While I believe there are great many people who need to be locked up, I don’t think *any*one needs to be raped.


No comments: