Sunday, December 21, 2008

One Day at the Western (Wailing) Wall

One day in 1994, I went on a bus tour of Jerusalem along with 40 other sailors and Marines off the USS Inchon. When we got to the Western (aka) Wailing Wall, we happened to see a young Israeli girl in Army uniform visiting her boyfriend. Both were carrying M-16s. What happened next was not planned. I didn’t have a camera with me, but every other sailor who got off that bus had the same idea simultaneously: to photograph the cute Israeli girl with M-16 right next to the Wailing Wall.

I want to emphasize that, while I’ve known some sailors who were capable of obnoxious behavior, all of these guys just wanted to get the picture of a lifetime. Besides, of all of the people you would not want to tick off, a woman lugging an automatic rifle with a full clip of ammo at the ready would NOT be that person. I’m afraid the young lady was a bit disconcerted. At first, she looked at us like, “Who am I, Cindy Crawford?” Then she stepped behind her boyfriend. Happily enough, nobody wanted to create an international incident. We went on our way. Too bad the young lady wasn’t into posing.

No comments: