Sunday, December 21, 2008

Profitable Tattoos

Back in 1982, when I was going through a Navy school in Pensacola, Florida, I met another sailor who had multiple tattoos on both his arms from his wrists to his shoulders. (These days, if I saw someone tattooed like that, I would be suspicious they were hiding needle marks.) This guy commented, “Yeah, I’ve got more than 300 dollars invested in tattoos.”

I thought, but did not ask, exactly what his tattoos’ rate of return was. With that in mind, I have only heard of two tattoos that actually earned money for the wearer. I once heard about a sailor who had the letters, Y-O-U-R-N-A-M-E. He used this fact to win a great many bets in bars.

There was another fellow I heard about who also had a tattoo that he used to win bets. On the middle of his calf, he had a tattoo of a rooster with a rope around its neck. I will let everyone figure that one out for themselves.

No comments: