Monday, August 10, 2009

Mild Surprise at Internal Affairs

As a criminal defense attorney, I’m trained to look at police action with great skepticism. In that respect, I kid my former next-door neighbor Rod Wittich that he is a bad influence on me. He has had an exemplary career with the Columbus Police Department. In his twenty-seven years with the force, he has done it all: patrol officer, patrol sergeant, sex crimes detective, internal affairs investigator and now, traffic division lieutenant. (Very few police ever make sergeant, so Rod has done quite well for himself.)

Several years ago, I met his internal affairs partner and was mildly surprised by the fact that she was black. (For the benefit of anyone who doesn’t understand my point, I frequently hear people complain that police do not understand women or minorities. That is not the case.)

No comments: