Saturday, June 27, 2009

On This Day In History

133 years ago today, George Armstrong Custer got his at the Little Big Horn, and Trooper Guiseppe Martini established himself as the luckiest guy in the 7th Cavalry. When Custer saw the enormous Indian camp, he ordered Trooper Martini to take a message back to Captain Benteen- so while all his comrades were dead within the next half hour, Trooper Martini lived another 45 years- he died in Brooklyn in 1921.

29 years ago, Yours Truly arrived at Great Lakes Recruit Training Center, for my first day of a four year hitch with the United States Navy. One of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen was Great Lakes RTC in the rear view mirror of the bus taking me out of there. While I decided not to make a career out of the Navy, I met some really extraordinarily fine people while I was in the service, some of whom I'm still friends with. So to all my shipmates, Fair Winds and Following Seas!

No comments: