Friday, August 27, 2010

A Tre Story of Blind British Justice

While attending the Notre Dame Law Center in London in 1985-1986, I read a newspaper story about a man who decided to improve his economic prospects by becoming a bank robber. He wasn't going to let the fact that he was completely blind stop him. He managed to go into a bank and hand a teller a note that read "My partner has a gun on you." (Apparently, there was no partner.) No word on who drove the getaway car. He was soon apprehended and sentenced to probation.

The next day, I read a newspaper editorial excoriating the judge for only giving the blind bandit probation. (To my English readers: no, neither the original story nor the editorial was published on April 1st.) Twenty-five years later, I still find that editorial amazing. Of all the things I find frightening, blind bank robbers armed only with a threatening note do not make the top five hundred. Furthermore, if that guy ever re-offended, exactly how hard would it be to catch him? (A blind man with a note? Does that match the MO of any other bank robbers?)"

I would have recommended that he try something else for excitement. Like sky diving. (Of course, that would be pretty scary for the guide dog).

No comments: