Monday, June 21, 2010

Einstein’s Kids

I recently learned that one of Einstein’s sons became a hydraulic engineer at UC Berkeley. While all of ole Albert’s grandchildren are now deceased, one of Einstein’s great-grandchildren (who carries the family name) practices medicine as an anesthesiologist and that gentleman is fluent in four languages: English, German, French and Spanish. (You’re a doctor who is fluent in four languages? What are you, some kind of Einstein? Well yes, as a matter of fact, I am.)

I understand that Dr. Einstein has three teenage daughters. I wonder how adept he is at coping with that situation.

I once was friends with a guy who was very big on eugenics and thought it was essential for extremely smart people to have large numbers of children. For him, I hope he considers the story of Einstein’s other son, who showed promise of extraordinary brilliance as a young child. By age twenty, however, had developed such schizophrenia that he spent the next thirty years of his life in a mental institution.

No comments: