Sunday, May 3, 2009

Modern Music

When the Beatles made their debut in America 45 years ago, my father was not the least bit pleased. He really disliked what he called "that bangity-bang-bang music." I vividly recall once when the family was loaded up in the station wagon and we drove past WCOL, Columbus' rock station way back then, he commented (jokingly?), "Somebody give me a satchel charge."

In retrospect I wonder what anybody found so shocking about a group that sang songs like "I Want to Hold Your Hand" (Possible premarital *hand* *holding*?!?! Reaaaaaally!)

A year ago, I think our popular culture hit an all-time low when the Oscar for best song from a movie went to "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp." I really wonder what it will take to shock this young young generation when they hit middle age.

No comments: