Friday, November 29, 2013

Bryant’s Columbus “Twin”

Yesterday marked the birthday of Bryant Edward, the son of some dear friends of mine, who gives a whole new meaning to the word highly intelligent (I can no longer refer to that young gentleman as a kid, since he’s about to graduate from San Diego State and has reached the midway point between 6’ tall and 7’).  

Several years ago, I represented a defendant in juvenile court who, I learned when I looked at my client’s information sheet, shared Bryant Edward’s birthday.  That particular young fellow was appearing before a judge on his 18th birthday after he had already plead guilty to having repeatedly fired a nine millimeter pistol into an inhabited trailer.  I thought to myself that my client was fortunate that he was not facing at least one murder charge.  When I asked my client what he’d been thinking of to do such a thing, his reply was, “the girl I was with told me I could only get a couple of months of reform school.”  I did not bother asking my client from which law school his paramour graduated.  Almost three years later, I again represented that fellow.  He had been “permed” to the department of youth services and was just short of his 21st birthday. I managed to get him out a few months early and actually established a fairly good report with him.  When I asked him if there was anything else he wanted, he replied, “Yes.  Can you help me find a job?” I said, “Buy a long sleeve shirt that will cover up those tattoos on your forearms, buy a necktie and learn how to tie it, get some long pants that fit you and not Dumbo the elephant, wear dress black loafers rather than basketball shoes, lose the nose ring, lose the doo-rag, and shave!”  I thought that was some pretty decent advice, but I pretty much suspect he will spend most of the rest of his life making license plates anyway.  

I’m passing this story along to Bryant Edward’s parents to remind them that, while I’m sure their son has, on occasion, gotten on their last nerve, he is an outstanding young gentlemen and I am very pleased to be his honorary “Uncle.”



No comments: