Sunday, November 10, 2013

Clinton Gets a Slice

Back in July of 1994, I arrived on board the U.S.S. George Washington CVN-73 to teach English and History as part of the U.S. Navy’s “college education.”  Just one month earlier, President Clinton had been on board taking part in the celebration of the 50th anniversary of D-Day.  One of my students was a very sharp Chief Petty Officer who was the personal cook for the Admiral who was on board commanding the George Washington’s battle group.  This guy took quite a bit of ribbing because a few months before Steven Seagal had come out with one of his most dreadful films, “Under Siege” in which he played the Captain’s cook of the U.S.S. Missouri (who happens to be a Navy Seal) and proceeds to foil a terrorist plot.  

I heard a great deal about the Clinton entourage, especially their assumption that George Washington towels and bathrobes left in their staterooms were complimentary souvenirs.  The standing joke on the George Washington was, “at least we could eat because Clinton’s people didn’t steal all the silverware.”  I once heard the Chief mention that he had cooked a meal for the Clintons and had even baked three pies for the President.  I thought to myself, “That’s an interesting bit of trivia.”  So I asked, “Which pie did Clinton eat?”

The Chief replied, “He took a big slice of all three and the last I saw he was reaching for Hilary’s.”

Well, I had always known that Bill Clinton had very little control over his appetites. 


No comments: