Saturday, April 30, 2011

Jethro Pugh/ Unlucky Name, Very Lucky Genes


Some people have names that make them veritable abuse magnets. One of my good friends from law school is a nice lady named Maureen Cunningham. I cringe to think of the number of nasty comments she must have received in middle school and high school. One fellow I’d consider unlucky is Jethro Pugh, as in rhymes with “few.” I can hardly imagine how many grade schoolers amused themselves by calling him “stinky.” However, fate and DNA conspired to give Jethro a break. By the time he graduated high school, he was well on his way to his full size of 6’6”, 220 pounds. His hulking frame combined with fast reflexes served him well playing twelve years as a defensive tackle for the Dallas Cowboys. I can only imagine that by the time he graduated high school, his grade school detractors, his teachers, and probably his principal were addressing him as “Mr. Pugh, Sir.”

No comments: