Saturday, April 30, 2011

Thank You Billy Crystal


As an Aspergian, I sometimes find making small talk an absolutely nightmarish experience. In conversation, I sometimes feel like I’m walking through a minefield in the middle of the night blindfolded. Over the years, I have occasionally tried to pay a woman a compliment on her appearance and had the compliment blow up in my face. After decades of trial and error, I have hit upon a compliment that never gets me anything but smiles and thank yous. That is to ask the lady in question “Do you know what Billy Crystal would say if he were here today? (some of the younger ones need to be reminded of his work in When Harry Met Sally and City Slickers) I then say, “I’m sure he would be saying, ‘You look maaaaaaaaahvelous, simply maaaaaahvelous.” Thank you, Billy Crystal.

No comments: